Friday, 1 May 2015

Learning

Get ready for a laugh. I decided to learn to knit recently. I figured, I have taught myself how to make miniature from polymer clay, I have taught myself how to sew patchwork and quilting in real life and miniature, I can teach myself to knit. This may have been a mistake! I am wasting a lot of wool.  I bought pretty cheap wool as I figured this would be the case at first. Here is my first ever attempt at knitting. 


I am not some super clever person who started off doing curved knitting because she is just that awesome. No. The curve is purely accidental. I think I had my wool tensioned too tight and I struggled to poke the needle through the loops and kept splitting my rather cheap wool. This resulted in a approximately 20-30 more stitches per row than when I started! Also the holes, the many holes. But I'm not too bothered about that since it's obvious they become fewer and fewer the further along I got.

Here is my second attempt. After a few rows of knitting, I did some purling for the first time ever (that's where it looks bulkier). And it wasn't terrible. And the whole thing is nearly parallel - I only mysteriously added a couple of stitches over the whole length of the thing. Hurrah for visible improvements!


I found this site gives very useful instructional videos which are basic and clear enough for me to follow. It breaks it down to four easy steps (cast on, knit stitch, purl stich and cast off) which is the maximum level of  complexity I can handle right now!



This tutorial was particularly helpful for my extra stitches problem.



Because I am a glutton for punishment, I will continue on until I either see some improvement, or I lose my rag completely! If I ever make something worthwhile, I'll let you know. Fingers (and needles!) crossed.

5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I grip the needles too tight and it becomes almost impossible to get the needle through. I do like that snazzy collar you knitted though ;0P Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Given all the things you have taught yourself to do, I'm sure your knitting skills will improve in no time. Martha Stewart better watch her back. Think of all the endless mini possibilities with knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me it will come. I know it is a cliché but a little practice is all you need. You have mastered the two basic stitches from now on it is just a case of adding a new thing now and then to that. Seriously knit a real thing like a basic scarf - though that's a lot of inches - but it you use big pins and thick wool it will grow quickly and you will build up speed and technique and have something to show for all your efforts. Happy knitting. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. I am currently knitting a scarf. If I ever finish it, I will be sure to share. It's getting better though!

      Delete
  4. You are a brave soul my friend. However, you eventually get it!

    ReplyDelete