Saturday, 18 April 2015

Fruity Fruity Hot Patootie

I've no idea what the title of this blog post is supposed to mean, but I was humming hot patootie from Rocky Horror the whole time I was making these, so there you go.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/littletimewasters?section_id=12733656&ref=shopsection_leftnav_4

I had a busy Sunday morning at the weekend making lots of fruit canes - orange, lemon and lime. It does seem to take longer to slice them than to actually make the cane though, and I've only sliced a tiny proportion of them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/littletimewasters?section_id=12733656&ref=shopsection_leftnav_4

If you're new to making dollhouse miniatures, or playing with polymer clay in general, citrus fruit slices are a great place to start when learning to make canes. There are already loads of great tutorials out there on this subject, with various different methods. I follow a combination of the one from Angie Scarr's book 'Making Miniature Food,' (online demo here but I much prefer the book) and also a tutorial by St├ęphanie Kilgast of PetitPlat, who adapted Angie's technique to suit her own way, which you can find here

Super useful book for beginners
The best thing is to practice to find what works best for you - I don't follow either tutorial to the letter, having found techniques I prefer and others I don't. But with a bit of practice, my canes have definitely gotten better!

No comments:

Post a Comment