Friday, 26 December 2014

Hexie Flower Basket

I made a flower basket patchwork wall hanging a year ago for my nan-in-law, and my mother-in-law liked it so much, she got her own version for Christmas this year. I've been wanting to share for a while but she'd be bound to find my blog if I posted it before Christmas, so here we are now!

 
This was done entirely by hand using the English paper piecing technique. I am still obsessed with hexagons. Each one measures less than 20mm across, so they were quite fiddly, small patches - just the kind I like.
 
Here is a close up of the basket so you can just about make out the quilting (all by hand). I did the leaves and the basket, which was enough to keep everything securely quilted without distracting from the patchwork picture.

 
And here is the design I used which I more or less made up as I went along. As you can see, I very nearly followed it properly, but I always seem to make a few changes as I go along.


This was the original flower basket wall hanging I made for my nan last year. The design is slightly different, since I my original sketch and it was easier just to draw a new one from scratch.

 
This one has less of a white background, which is probably why I remember it being so much faster to do!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pattern! Have the Happiest of New Years (I hope I didn't post this twice:( Someties it is hard to tell! Cheers CM

    ReplyDelete