Monday, 15 December 2014

Deck the Halls

Whenever I see red, green and gold, I think of Christmas! So with that colour scheme in mind, here is my latest project - a tree skirt. For once I made something I intend to keep for myself, as we have never had a tree skirt so I can kid myself we 'need' one. Plus it matches my existing decorations.


 
Detail on the fabric.
 I actually started this project in early November, but since it's entirely hand sewn, I wanted to give myself plenty of time to have it actually ready for Christmas. Luckily, I was aided by the fact that we don't put up our tree particularly early. Partly because we have birthdays in December that we like to celebrate first, but mainly because I really find it helps keep it special if the decorations don't go up until just a week or so beforehand.


The tree skirt in action!

Here is some bunting I knocked together last Christmas to cheer up my lounge, which was looking a little bare and sad (we didn't have anything Christmassy except the tree).


It hangs from random nails already in my beams, so is a breeze to put up and take down, plus unlike tinsel which can get a little musty while it's stored throughout the year, this bunting can be thrown in the washing machine if need be. I made this from leftover scraps of material, so all I really bought especially was the red ribbon.

2 comments: