Sunday, 29 December 2013

Hexie Love

This is a crafting post, albeit not a miniature one! 
I must confess; I have a new love. I’ve been unfaithful to miniatures. How can I describe it? They come in a whole range of colours and sizes but are always perfectly-formed. I’m talking of course of hexies - specifically the hand sewing technique of English paper piecing. I stumbled upon this technique while looking for something to do that involved no machinery and very little kit since nearly everything I own has been in boxes for the past 3 months. 
 
It looked so precise I thought I couldn’t do it but then I found a very easy to follow tutorial on My Poppet and realised I could do this! She also provides a handy template, and lazy as I am this was how I decided on the scale of my first hexie project. I’m following a traditional grandmother’s flower garden pattern (hexie flowers with paths in between) but using all sorts of random colours. 


lotsa hexies!
 
My hexie project uses up all my scraps of fabric and doesn’t require too much intellect since the colour scheme is pretty random other than following a certain shade. No worries about cutting out the correct number of hexies! It doesn’t make any noise like the sewing machine does, so I can do it at any time of day or night, in front of the tv without annoying the hubbie.  And the best part? It is SO satisfying! The corners are so nicely precise and even when they don’t quite match up it’s an easy fix.


 
When I started my hexie project, I didn’t know what it was going to end up being. A table centre? A table cloth? Now it’s getting to the point it’s almost certainly going to be a quilt, although I don’t know if it will be a single or double yet. It depends on how addicted I become. The great thing about it is, when I do get a bit sick of it, it all folds up into a couple of bags without overtaking my whole living room. I’m not sure when I’ll ever finish it, but when I do I’ll share it on the blog.
 
Where will it end? Nobody knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment