Friday, 2 August 2013

Old School Miniatures

I was recently browsing through some ancient files in my PC, when I cam across a couple of photos from YEARS ago. These poorly lit, slightly out-of-focus images are all the proof that remain of my first foray into making miniatures (as an adult anyway - I'm sure my mother has tons of evidence of my childhood exploits).
 
I started off with what I knew - Sylvanian Families (Calico Critters in the USA). I made them a couple of shops, and filled them full of various things I found and made.
 
Here is the grocery shop I made in 2008. It's run by the Trotter family (who are pigs of course).
 

I cringe a little when I look closely at the fruit and vegetables and remember how out of scale and generally crude they were. But everyone has to start somewhere, and at the time I thought they were awesome! I bought the sacks and bottles, but made pretty much everything else, including the little jars with scaled down stickers.

 
 
And here is the toy shop I made. No handmade miniature food here, but I thought it was cute enough to share. I especially love the teeny tiny Sylvanian dollhouse dollhouses! I am a sucker for such things, as we already know.
 
 
Do you love or loathe your very old and early projects? I remember making this with fondness, as I rediscovered a passion for miniatures I'd had as a child but forgotten, and learnt slowly but surely how to make things again.

1 comment: