Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Book Review: 1/12th Character Figures for the Dolls' House by James Carrington

I bought 1/12th Character Figures for the Dolls' House by James Carrington a while ago in order to find out more about making detailed doll figures. While I have lots of experience creating food with polymer clay, I've never made a doll of any kind, so bought it in hopes of finding out what methods were best as I didn't know where to start.
 
 
The book outlines what materials and equipment you need, then goes into detail on how to sculpt various body parts from polymer clay. There are detailed and useful pages on proportions, and how to finish off dolls, as well as how to attach them altogether, which was the part I was most glad to see as this was what I needed to learn. I can get my head around how to sculpt in polymer clay, I just really wasn't sure how to put all the parts together, and this book really helped with that.
 
What I also found very interesting, and it had not really occurred to me before as a method, was the chapter devoted to making a mould. I've made various small moulds for my miniature food, but they are much simpler to do and usually have a base or 'unseen side' from which to push finished items out. Not so with a 3D mould of a figure, and I found this chapter particularly insightful if you ever plan on making several figures and don't want to sculpt all the torsos etc. from scratch each time.
 
 
The book is beautifully illustrated throughout with examples of Carrington's work, which are themselves works of art. I absolutely love the detail of expression in their faces, and how dynamic he manages to make them appear.
 
The only disappointment for me was the lack of information on dressing the figures. There was a small (but useful) amount at the end of the book, but as a novice sewer, I would have appreciated some basic sewing patterns, as I really don't know where to begin when it comes to making clothes in any scale.
 
 
I haven't actually made any 12th scale figures so I cannot comment first hand how practical this book's instructions are as you make something, however having read the whole thing from cover to cover, it seems very thorough and straight forward to follow, and I would highly recommend it. Even if you don't ever intend on making any figures (I swear I do, I just never seem to get round to it!) if you're interested in scale miniatures this is a delightful and interesting read.
 
My score: 9/10!




1 comment:

  1. You do make fantastic food, I am sure this skill will become second nature also ;)

    I look forward to your first doll!

    ReplyDelete