Tuesday, 9 March 2010

1st tiered cake attempt!

This is my first attempt at a tiered cake. You can find it in my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=42280111&image_id=128805321

For a first go, it's not so bad. But it still has lots of little imperfections, especially in the white parts. I need to work on that.

Also, I have a major problem with cracking! This one wasn't so bad, but many of my tiered cakes cracked a little during their first bake, and a lot during the second one, to the point they had to be scrapped. I thought you could bake fimo as many times as you liked. I don't understand it, as I follow the instructions on the pack and none of my other things crack like this. Is it the thickness of the cakes that's doing it? I don't know! Any advice would be welcome.

Cheerio,

A-M

3 comments:

  1. A-M, why don't you ask, bk?

    I think your cake looks lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your cake looks lovely, too. If you say cracks do you mean little moonies (halfmoons). It's a typical problem with Fimo. You can avoid them by mixing white Fimo with a bit of translucent one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice. It's true I've never had a cracking issue when mixing with transcluent, I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete